Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Walking in the dark on a raining day

As I was walking back from dropping off my 10th grader at the bus stop this morning at 6:45 a.m., in the dark and in the rain, I saw a groundhog wobble past me in the semi-darkness, and I smiled.

It reminded me how walking is truly a solution that begets solutions. By walking instead of getting in my car:
  • I don't have to spend time going to the gym. That decreases my carbon footprint and increases the time I can do other things -- like volunteer at our schools and for my county.
  • I feel a connection to nature and hence, have improved spiritual health as well as physical health.
  • I get to talk to my children one-on-one as I walk each to a different bus stop each morning (one is in high school and the other is in middle school).
  • I get to see more of my neighbors, bringing about a greater sense of community.
  • I get to rescue the worms that end up on the sidewalks during rain
Walking instead of getting in your car: increases one's spiritual health, physical health, and social well-being while saving money and time!

No comments:

Post a Comment